THE MECHANICS OF VISUAL STORYTELLING™
Mastering the Comic Book and Graphic Novel Script
There is a steep learning curve for the beginning writer of comics and graphic novels. Publishers and artists will rarely read a script if it is laid out poorly and does not provide clear storytelling across the pages and panels appropriate to the format of the book. This masterclass provides beginner practitioners with the skills to write full scripts correctly and to employ the tools of visual storytelling to serve the narrative, character and story structure.
Who Should Participate
This masterclass is ideal if you are:
- An aspiring comics creator who is starting out and does not know how to lay out or write a FULL comic book or graphic novel script
- An emerging or developing comics creator who needs to go back to visual storytelling basics to become more professional in the craft of writing
- A comics artist who wants to add writing to his or her repertoire to master the craft of visual storytelling from all perspectives
- An author, illustrator, storyboarder, animator or TV or film scriptwriter who wants to cross over to visual storytelling
- A mainstream publishing editor who has no background in the comics medium, but needs to learn quickly in order to assess the potential of solicited and unsolicited graphic novel scripts.
What You Will Learn
This masterclass will give you insights into:
- Undertanding the comics medium, as well as its genres, styles and publishing categories
- Becoming acquainted with comics jargon
- Understanding the writing process from outline to page / panel breakdown to FULL script… and how to communicate ideas clearly and concisely to your artist and publisher
- Utilising visual storytelling tools appropriately to serve the narrative and the character journey
- Translating story structure into comics formats
- Controlling pacing through your story
- Establishing panel points of view (AKA shots) effectively
- Understanding the fundamentals of dialogue.
- And other important rules of visual storytelling.
If you are interested in enrolling in a comprehensive comics writing course, we recommend you register for this masterclass, as it serves as a foundation or stepping stone for the Visual Storytelling Success System™: How to Write Comic Books and Graphic Novels 8 week (online) short course, which will be offered from 10 April 2018.
About the Presenter
Jason Franks is a graphic novelist and fiction author based in Melbourne, Australia. He is the writer of the Sixsmiths graphic novels and the Left Hand Path series, which were nominated for Ledger and Aurealis awards. Franks’ first novel, Bloody Waters, was also nominated for an Aurealis award. Jason has written comics for dozens of artists over the course of his career. His work has been published in the USA, Australia, the UK and Canada. He has previously presented workshops on comics writing at the Australian Comic Arts Festival and at Continuum Convention. Franks’ second novel, Faerie Apocalypse, will be published in 2017.
Date: Wednesday 28 March 2018
Time: 6:30pm to 9:00pm
Duration: 2.5 hours
Audience: Age: 15+
Comics Category: Comic books and graphic novels
Level: Beginners and emerging comics creators
Materials & Equipment: Computer with a good internet connection plus pen, notebook
Investment: Please find following our fee structure:
- The Comics Voice Ezine Subscribers and ACAF 2018 sign ups: $57
- Partner organisation – Australian Cartoonists’ Association (ACA), Australian Society of Authors (ASA), Australian Writers Network (AWN), Book Expo Australia (BEA), Ownaindi (OAI), Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI), Sydney Comics Guild (SCG): $77
- Full: $97
If you are unable to attend the live webinar, but would still like to have access to the material then please register for the webinar and the recording and handouts will be sent to you within 24 hours of the webinar going live.
Email email@example.com or phone (02) 9606 4728 or 0412 445 511.