FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Madman is proud to announce a new distribution partnership with independent Australian comics and graphic novel publisher, Milk Shadow Books.
Established in 2008, Milk Shadow Books prides itself on publishing the finest independent works from Australian, New Zealand and international artists, and boasts a catalogue bursting with totally original, hilarious, emotional, terrifying and just downright weird tales to make you laugh, think and maybe gag.
Highlights from the Milk Shadow Books range include the unparalleled ‘Hergé meets Cronenberg via Lovecraft’ delights of Tim Molloy’s MR UNPRONOUNCABLE ADVENTURES and IT SHINES AND SHAKES AND LAUGHS, the collected sticky carpet legacy of Dillon Naylor that forms A BRUSH WITH DARKNESS, J. Marc Schmidt’s black comedy onslaught, ALL YOU BASTARDS CAN GO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE, two volume collections of Australia’s longest running underground humour comic, YOU STINK AND I DON’T, and much, much more.
Looking to the future, Milk Shadow Books have a treat in store for people of all ages. Dillon Naylor’s DA ‘N’ DILL – THE SHOWBAG YEARS collects all the infamous Da ‘n’ Dill comics that have wickedly entertained both children and adults over the years as they were sneakily packed into the Australian showbag circuit.
“We believe that the breadth, exceptional quality, and dare I say, sheer tenacity of the Milk Shadow Books offering will compliment what we do perfectly,” said Daniel Chlebowczyk, Product Manager – Manga & Graphic Novels, Madman Ent. “We’re truly excited to be working with them out there on the fringe!”
“It’s an honour to be working with Madman. With their cutting edge animation and alternative media collection, we see the future of our two companies working perfectly together. We’re really excited to see where this goes.” – James Andre – Publisher, Milk Shadow Books.
The Milk Shadow Books partnership will also further complement the distribution arrangement Madman have in place with Gestalt Publishing, whose graphic novels such as THE DEEP and CHANGING WAYS have received a multitude of awards, critical acclaim and reader praise.
Madman will begin distributing the Milk Shadow Books range in August, 2013.
For more information on Madman’s range of graphic novels, visit: www.madman.com.au/graphicnovels
For more information on Milk Shadow Books, visit: www.milkshadowbooks.com
The full Milk Shadows Books catalogue launches with the following line-up:
- MR UNPRONOUNCABLE ADVENTURES: Collected here for the first time are the complete adventures of Mr Unpronounceable, freshly squeezed from the feverish pen of psychedelic artist, Tim Molloy. So grab your Shrivelled Homunculus, ingest that alien hallucinogen, and delve into the feverish brain of Mr Unpronounceable. The squirming secrets of the aching void await you!
- A BRUSH WITH DARKNESS: The first ever collection of the rock and horror art of Dillon Naylor, including his work for The Beastie Boys, Area 7, The Fireballs and more. Since the mid-1980s, Dillon Naylor has been drawing distinctively sinister album covers, band posters, t-shirt designs and horror comics out of pure love… and a name on the door of the next gig. Now, artwork that was only ever found staple-gunned to a pole in Fitzroy, duct-taped to a wall in a smoky pub or stuffed upside-down into a magazine rack in an alternative music store, can be seen all in one smart 200 page volume.
- ALL YOU BASTARDS CAN GO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE: Creator of the cult classic graphic novels, Egg Story and Eating Steve, and the co-creator of The Sixsmiths, J Marc Schmidt furiously rains down over 200 pages of comic stories covering art, romance, religion, anger, pop culture parodies, sex and death in his latest collection.
- THE TRIALS OF FRANCIS BEAR: This work is Gregory Mackay’s second book-length expedition into the world of the itinerant, inebriate and inventive Francis Bear. Distracted by folly, and motivated to fabricate, Francis challenges the world around him – indelibly. He seeks pleasure from the bottle, finds opportunity in mistakes and never really gets anything right. That is until he goes to war…
- IT SHINES AND SHAKES AND LAUGHS: Explore short graphic art fantasy stories of infinite beauty; of vision and violence. Collected here for the first time are the complete silent comic works of cult artist Tim Molloy from 2007 – 2012, featuring an introduction by Dylan Horrocks (Hicksville). A finalist in the 2012 Aurealis Awards for Best Graphic Novel.
- NO MAP, BUT NOT LOST: A thick book collecting all of Bobby.N’s previously self-published artwork and comic short stories, including his acclaimed work, Withheld. This volume contains everything from the early days where Bobby was finding his voice, up until today where he stands as one of Australia’s top underground comic artists. From amateur scribbling to a more refined line. A sixteen year chronological record of one ordinary guy getting better on paper, by following his heart. Contains extensive notes and never before seen production art and sketches. Features an introduction by Larry Boxshall from the NonCanonical comics podcast.
- ZOMBOLETTE: A beautifully decaying, 120 page giant-sized collection of Scarlette Baccini’s humorous (and sometimes horrendous) comic strips and stories featuring a zombie and her best friend/roommate/hamster, Cameron as they take on vegetarians, dating, Tarantino and walruses. Join Zombolette on her hilarious quest to find who she is, who she was and just why you need to devour the whole human, not just their arm.
- YUCK! NUMBER SEVEN: The Universe’s greasiest comics anthology returns with Yuck! Number Seven! Original surreal black comedy comics from a plethora of over 40 Australian and international low-lives, including Ben Hutchings, Tim Molloy, Bruce Mutard, Michael Aushenker, J. Marc Schmidt, Gregory Mackay, Scarlette Baccini, David DeGrand, the Phatsville crew, Kapreles, S.C.A.R., Glenno, Frank Candiloro, James Andre, Keith McDougall, Dean Rankine, Craig Collins, Georgia Quinn, Ross Radiation, Ben John Smith, Andrew Fulton, Johandson Rezende and many more surprising sickos. Straight from the gutter into your hands. Adults only. Cover by Ben Sea. Edited by Mr. Slime.
- YOU STINK AND I DON’T – VOLUME 1: Destroying all in its path comes ‘You Stink and I Don’t – Volume One’. Running for over 20 years, YSAID ranks as the longest running Australian underground humour comic. Created by a young Ben ‘Hutcho’ Hutchings, watch the evolution of the art and humour as he tackles subjects such as pop culture, growing up, and the strange characters that you might meet whilst walking around town. Volume One collects issues one to five, plus Ben’s parody of heavy metal zines, ‘Benzine’!
- YOU STINK AND I DON’T – VOLUME 2: Back for a second lash at everything comes You Stink and I Don’t – Volume Two. This time Ben ‘Hutcho’ Hutchings looks at cats, bands, love, mainstream comics, and other social issues of great importance. The depth and variety of art and humour show that Hutcho may possibly be Australia’s answer to Robert Crumb (‘cept not as grumpy). Volume Two collects issues six to ten, plus issue 9 1/2, and lots of extra strips. A huge book with over 250 pages of Stinkin’ goodness.